Year-Round Technical Manager
Vancouver International Film FestivalVancouver14 days ago
Job Title: Year-round Technical Manager
Reports to: Senior Logistics Manager
Duration: Full-time permanent
Start Date: May 2021
Location: VIFF Centre
Scope: VIFF year-round
Remuneration: $53,000 + Benefits package
The Greater Vancouver International Film Festival Society is dedicated to accessible employment practices and committed to being an equal-opportunity employer. We value a diverse and inclusive workplace that is reflective of our community and encourage applications from members of communities that have been marginalized based on sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, or status as an Indigenous person. Please feel free to advise us of any accommodation needs.
Reporting to the Senior Logistics Manager, the Technical Manager oversees the operations of the VIFF year-round technical department which is responsible for all cinema projection (digital and film), audio/visual tech at live events (creator talks, live performances), live streaming, videography, the VIFF podcast, and any other technical aspects of events related to audio/visual storytelling, as well as overseeing the logistics of acquiring and returning films and film files to filmmakers and distributors. This management position will need to have the skills to lead a diverse team of technicians to success, communicate clearly, liaise with rental clients, and organize a variety of requests from various VIFF departments.
- 5+ years proven experience working as an audio/visual technician or a supervisor of an audio/visual technician.
- Experience working with 35mm film and film projection is an asset.
- Experience working with digital film projection and DCP is an asset.
- Basic understanding of systems networking and computer hardware.
- 3+ years proven experience in team leadership and staff management.
- 3+ years proven experience in budget management (creating budget projections, meeting targets, justifying new expenses).
- Proven experience working in festival production or operations.
- Commitment to the principles of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong decision-making skills and a results-driven approach.
- Highly organized, focused, and able to work within tight deadlines.
- Fan of the arts; Passion for film, filmmaking, television, music, VR/AR, and education.
- Leading the year-round technical team to success for all in-cinema screenings, events, rentals, exhibits, and all live stream events.
- Representing the technical department at organizational meetings, and maintaining clear channels of communication between the technical department and other VIFF departments.
- Engaging with rental clients to ensure that their technical needs are met and that VIFF’s abilities are communicated, and ensuring clients are well supported by the technical department during their events.
- Overseeing the recruiting, hiring, and scheduling of technical department team members.
- Overseeing the management of technical department team members including communicating job expectations, planning department meetings, providing ongoing training and performance management.
- Encouraging a healthy and safe work environment that supports justice, equality, diversity, and inclusion.
- Accountability for the departmental operating budget and annual development of budget projections.
- Collaborating and communicating with key staff members and departments to ensure organizational timelines, goals, and needs are addressed.
Deadline for application is April 15th, 2021
How to apply: Please submit a current CV, along with a cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “HIRING TECHNICAL MANAGER” in the subject line of the email. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those requested for an interview will be contacted due to the volume of applications anticipated. No phone calls, please.