Technology & Intellectual Property Specialist
Notch TherapeuticsVancouver, BC22 days ago
Notch Therapeutics is a cell therapy company that has unlocked the ability to produce T cells and other cells from any source of stem cells. At the core of the Notch technology is the Engineered Thymic Niche (ETN) platform, which enables precision control of cell fate during the differentiation and expansion of stem cells. The ETN is the first technology that can reliably generate T-cells from iPSC-derived progenitor cells using fully defined, non-xenogenic reagents at industrial scale. By leveraging the ETN platform, Notch is positioned to design and deliver the next generation of T cell therapeutics that are specifically engineered to address the underlying biology of complex disease systems. The technology was invented in the laboratories of Juan-Carlos Zúñiga-Pflücker, Ph.D. at Sunnybrook Research Institute and Peter Zandstra, Ph.D., FRSC at the University of Toronto. Notch was founded by these two institutions, in conjunction with MaRS Innovation (now Toronto Innovation Acceleration Partners) and the Centre for Commercialization of Regenerative Medicine (CCRM) in Toronto.
Notch is a developing organization and represents a fluid working environment. Flexibility and adaptability are essential, and duties will be influenced by the needs of the organization. Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Notch is committed to accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, providing the applicant has met the bona fide requirements for the open position. Applicants should make their requirements known once contacted to schedule an interview, or when the job offer has been made.
As Technology and Intellectual Property Specialist at Notch Therapeutics, you will be part of a diverse team focused on advancing iPSC-derived T-cell therapeutics from discovery-stage through scale-up and clinical manufacturing. As a collaborative and motivated individual, you will assist in developing and advancing Notch’s intellectual property portfolio. You will bring a strong scientific background, understanding of the principles of patent law, and a demonstrated ability to translate science into intellectual property. Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Corporate Development, you will also work directly with Notch’s research scientists and intellectual property team.
- Contribute to global patent strategy as needed over time with a focus on alignment of the patent portfolio with Notch's business objectives, priorities and resources.
- Interact with R&D scientists at all levels, including group leaders and team members, to identify inventions, coordinate invention disclosures, and secure patents on Notch innovations
- Actively support, educate, and consult with Notch inventors in matters related to the development of their inventions
- Contribute to the drafting, filing, prosecution, and maintenance of Notch's worldwide patent portfolio
- Perform literature and patent searches to assist with FTO and patentability analyses.
- Conduct patent clearance investigations
- Contribute to IP due diligence, technology assessments and FTO analyses in potential strategic transactions
- Perform patent searches and investigate competitor technology
- Develop knowledge of competitor IP in the context of an ever-evolving IP landscape
- Monitor pending and issued competitor patents
- Monitor new literature publications for information relevant to Notch’s technology
- Other responsibilities as required
Qualifications and Experience
- A Ph.D. in biomedical sciences or related field with a focus on cell therapies.
- At least 3 years of bench-level research experience at a therapeutics or biotechnology company
- Patent agent registration or patent experience in a law firm or corporate legal department
- Experience in literature and patent searching, and other competitive intelligence searching.
- Strong technological aptitude for learning and working with a range of technologies; and a willingness to learn and engage with Notch employees and outside counsel in related technologies
- Comprehensive understanding of global patent law and prosecution strategy
- Advanced understanding of development processes related to cell manufacturing and differentiation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.