We have an immediate opening for a Team Leader- Embedded Firmware Engineering to develop processing and controls firmware and software for our power conversion management systems, at our Vancouver (Burnaby) facility.
In this role, you will have a significant opportunity to be a part of a talented cross-functional team tasked with the responsibility of designing and developing reliable and cost-effective power conversion products from conception to production. This position will give you the platform to act as a key senior contributor to the entire development and creative process thereby allowing you to leave your stamp on various exciting projects in play.
If this resonates with you, we want to hear from you!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary duty is to design and develop power conversion products (Rectifiers, AC UPS, Converters, Inverters) from concept to production.
- Develop detailed requirements and specifications based on product and system requirements, working in concert with project managers, technical leaders, manufacturing engineers, test engineers, and staff.
- Design, write, and test firmware for embedded digital signal processors (DSPs) and systems-on-a-chip (SOICs) that directly control power conversion electronics at microsecond rates.
- Write technical documents required by our development processes and standards.
- Negotiate and manage expectations for product requirements and new product introduction timelines with Product Management and Sales.
- Manage, coach, mentor and develop a team of talented individuals through regular one-on-one’s, and promoting continuous improvement, career development, growth and learning.
- Monitor and schedule the development team workload to assign the appropriate resources to planned development programs and support sustaining engineering activities.
- Manage day to day activities of team members, including resource planning, recruiting, and skill set balancing.
- Provide input into product roadmaps with corresponding timeline creation.
- Support the identification and implementation of future, breakthrough technologies that will improve the overall competitiveness and cost position of EnerSys’ Power Conversion products
- Contribute to the development of overall engineering department policy.
- Directly manage the team, including personnel placement, employee relations, performance appraisals, discipline and termination, training, and career development
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering.
- At least 7 years of previous and related experience specific to power conversion product design; at least 2 year of experience in leadership roles.
- Solid engineering experience with power electronics design and product development with embedded microcontrollers.
- Experience with sampled-data real-time control systems, specifically for power conversion or motor drive type applications
- Expertise in the fields of:
- Embedded firmware design.
- Real-time process control.
- Power electronics hardware with embedded microcontrollers.
- Power conversion process, including signal processing and control algorithms.
- Industrial protocols.
- High proficiency in developing C language firmware for DSPs, GPPs and microprocessors/microcontrollers.
- Experience with digital control interfaces such as SPI, I2C, and UART.
- Experience with one or more communications protocols such as CAN, Modbus, USB, Ethernet.
- Experience with embedded systems with and without RTOS.
- Experience with testing and debugging embedded real-time software using specialized test and debug tools.
- Working knowledge with the use of electronic test equipment, such as oscilloscopes, power sources and loads, etc.
- Experience with DSP, e.g. digital filter design and fixed-point arithmetic.
- Experience with SoC peripherals such as ADC, PWM, comparators, etc.
- Experience with concurrency in a single and multi-core environment.
- Familiar with the Agile development process, SCRUM and experience in an R&D environment.
- Significant modeling, simulation, and analysis experience with tools like Matlab/Simulink, SPICE, and PSIM.
EnerSys provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. EEO/M/F/Vets/Disabled