Systems Administrator - Tier 3
At Microserve, we are an industry leader in providing technology solutions to public and private sector clients across Western Canada. Headquartered in Burnaby, BC, with offices in Halifax, Victoria, Calgary, and Edmonton, we employ over 550 team members, and are one of the largest technology solutions providers, recognized for our ability to deliver and innovate to meet the changing needs of our clients.
Microserve is looking for an enthusiastic Tier 3 Systems Administrator to join our team in Western Canada. The Tier 3 Technicians are the third level escalation path for Tier 1&2 support. In addition to providing a very high level of client service, you will develop strong relationships with clients and staff, provide user support to both local and remote users, maintain system documentation, and contributes to IT projects as required. Individuals applying for this position must be able to multi-task, have a strong attention to detail, professional demeanor, and be able to adapt into a growing and changing environment. This position can be worked remotely anywhere in Canada with the candidate available to work BC/AB hours.
- Completing root cause tickets to find permanent and effective solutions, while recommending infrastructure improvements.
- Quickly assess and troubleshoot complex problems and devise effective solutions.
- Moving clients onto a private or public cloud-based environments system such as VMware on-premises, or Azure public cloud.
- Works with Management and other stakeholders to define, document, implement, monitor, and maintain network/system security and integrity.
- Troubleshooting and managing firewall, network, hardware, software, security, and VOIP incidents that require resolution.
- Providing server infrastructure: build networks, set up of DNS, DHCP, domain hosting, and virtualization software (Hyper V and VMWare)
- Providing primary support and ongoing management of enterprise SAN storage technology such as 3PAR, Equallogic, Nutanix, Dell
- Act as escalation point in troubleshooting and resolving Backup and DR technology such as Veeam Backup and Replication; including performing DR tests and documenting results
- Design, configure, deploy, and set up complex networks in new and existing sites and locations.
- Provide expertise and specialized support to the installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of hardware and software, ensures compatibility to the existing systems and network.
- Conduct detailed analysis of network performance needed to maintain the defined standards for our clients, documenting the findings and recommend upgrades of hardware and/or software to increase network performance.
- Project work as required.
- Communicating ticket status and updates directly to clients.
- Assist with solutions on escalated tickets, update knowledge base and use the opportunity to mentor the team and reduce escalations over time.
- A willingness to work flexible hours when required to meet client deadlines, with most work being within regular office hours 0830am to 5pm PST; with the exception of on-call pager rotation
- Consistently display superior customer service skills and telephone etiquette
- Perform work in a high-pressure team environment.
- Incident management (logging incidents, managing workload, documenting support issues)
- Active Directory user management (user accounts, security groups, distribution lists, passwords)
- Asset management (inventory, repairs, configuring new machines)
- Troubleshooting and maintenance of IT hardware (iOS devices and Windows)
- Audio visual support (projectors, video conferencing, Zoom/Teams for Business)
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in IT Service and Support industry
- At least two professionally recognized certifications (Fortinet, Microsoft, Cisco, ITIL, etc.)
- Setup and configuration of Windows servers, Virtualization environments with VMWare/HyperV, Azure virtualization, Cloud-based applications, and troubleshooting
- Must have experience working with networking devices, switches, routers, video conference devices and wireless.
- Intermediate to proficient knowledge of MS Office applications; and Office 365 support experience; including MS Teams (and Teams Calling) or SharePoint/OneDrive for Business and Exchange Online.
- Experience in managing, maintaining, and securing Azure, and Microsoft Office 365 deployments; from MFA to Conditional Access or Intune.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP and routing protocols layer 2 and layer 3 network design principles.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Extensive Microsoft environment knowledge including servers, licensing, AD, & DHCP.
- Extensive infrastructure knowledge, including networking, router/firewalls, servers, & workstations.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a polished and professional manner
- The ability to deal with all levels of management
- Excellent organizational skills with motivation, self-direction, and good time management skills
- The ability to maintain confidentiality and deal with sensitive or difficult situations with tact and diplomacy and excellent attention to detail.
Additional Skills or Assets
- Experience with ConnectWise, ITGlue, PowerBI
- Experience with Fortinet, Cisco IOS, Meraki, Ubiquity, Sonicwall, PFSense etc.
- Experience with VDI, virtualization technologies, and cloud hosting.
- Experience with SolarWinds RMM tools (N-able).
- Experience in Windows Virtual Desktop, Remote Desktop Services, or Citrix environments is advantageous.
- Understanding of DNS, especially as related to web and mail service