At Microserve, we are an industry leader in providing technology solutions to public and private sector clients across Western Canada. Headquartered in Burnaby, BC, with offices in, Victoria, Edmonton, Calgary, and Halifax, we employ over 450 team members, and are one of the largest technology solutions providers, recognized for our ability to deliver and innovate to meet the changing needs of our clients.
Position Purpose and Summary:
Microserve is looking for a technical Solutions Architect who would be responsible for the strategic business conversations with our small to mid-market managed services clients that enables them to grow and/or optimize their business through reducing technology friction and enabling productive staff while reducing risk. This role can be performed remotely within Western Canada (but ideally based in Vancouver) and report into our Vice President of Professional Services.
Microserve’ s goal is to create a Digital Workplace built around Microsoft 365 that enables our managed services clients to achieve their desired outcomes while at the same time, provide a secure employee experience with easy-to-use technology, and engaging deployments that focus on driving end user adoption through successful change management. We need a technical solutions architect that can translate IT to business on our team to help us achieve this goal.
In this role the Solution Architect performs hands-on technical assessment, creates technology roadmaps, creates, and updates IT budgets, presents business cases for technology solutions and projects, and then guides clients through technology changes. The solutions architect is a future thinking technology leader that takes a broad view of the client and focuses on business and IT alignment that makes sense based on client size and technology dependence. At the same time, the solutions architect is an escalation point for the NOC team for complex technical issues and taking ownership of problem management; hands on keyboard when necessary.
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Work closely with Microserve leadership to plan, design, and implement the overall IT strategy for our clients. This includes developing technology roadmaps with business case justification and budget proposals.
- Provide expert advice to clients on technologies that can best support business objectives
- Engage in formal planning, requirements gathering and budgeting for clients and manage day-to-day IT operations.
- Have a broad understanding of technology and a deep understanding of Microserve’ s solution portfolio. You couple your knowledge of technology and security to maximize the value of solutions for our clients by effectively translating how our solutions can be leveraged to achieve strategic business goals.
- Develop technology risk planning and management strategies for our managed services clients that help reduce overall risk and increase ROI of in-use technologies.
- Focus on continuous improvement in IT operations and service delivery
- Define and monitor the implementation of IT and security controls, governance, and compliance for our clients
- Develop innovative solutions and research technologies on behalf of client organizations and their individual needs, including documenting and presenting business cases to achieve buy in
- In-depth knowledge of technology solutions, operating models, IT service management, IT and security standards and controls such as SOC 2, ISO 27001 or CIS benchmarks for example
- Constant focus on continuous improvement and proactively bringing ideas for new technologies to our clients to jointly explore potential opportunities to improve; presenting business case(s) for implementation to Microserve and client leadership, as and when required
- Analyzing requests and specific business needs presented by business units and then researching, recommending, designing, and implementing technology solutions as per the agreed technology plan
- Overseeing and coordinating IT related project initiatives for clients; including scope development in alignment with business requirements, functional deliverables, schedule and milestone planning, project execution, and post-mortems and lessons learned
- Supporting clients with oversight on their cyber security governance, controls, policies and compliance.
- Supporting clients with oversight on the technological infrastructure for their organizations; ensuring optimal performance and implementation of best practices.
- Coordinating the development of IT controls, policies and procedures (specifically related to IT infrastructure, security, and disaster recovery) and implementing best practices across the companies that you support as clients of Microserve.
- Developing and implementing the underlying organization’s Disaster Recovery Plans and data archiving strategies as they pertain to IT for applicable clients; based on business requirements
- Developing and managing a budget for technology, IT services, and personnel
- Creating status reports and presenting findings to senior management on an as required basis.
- 10+ years of hands-on Information Technology experience; ideally a background in consulting across a diverse set of clients
- Demonstrated implementation experience with and a passion for Microsoft 365 Modern Workplace technologies (E.g., MS Teams, SharePoint/OneDrive, Power Platform, Exchange Online); strong ability to provide guidance on best practices and design of solutions
- 3+ years experience in creating and presenting long-term strategic technology roadmaps and detailed IT budgets
- Demonstrated success in both designing and hands-on implementation of technology solutions and related systems, and processes for a variety of organizations both large and small
- Experience and success in developing and presenting technology business cases, decision requests, and project charters
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization, including translating technically complex information to varying technical audiences
- Strong general business management and financial acumen
- Practical and current knowledge of IT systems, M365, Azure, and security operations and a demonstrated ability to resolve complex technology related issues
- Ability to manage and maintain private and confidential information with a high degree of professionalism
- Demonstrated capacity for forming and advancing relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Strong resourcefulness, problem solving and project management skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experienced innovative thinker with proven results in a fast-paced environment
- Intellectual curiosity and passion for technology to stay informed on industry trends
- Post-Secondary Certificate or Degree in an IT related field as well as up to date certifications such as Microsoft 365 Certified: Enterprise Administrator Expert or Azure Solutions Architect Expert
- Previous IT team Management or IT Leadership experience