Software Developer – Indigenous Software (Contract, Remote Possible)
Hatfield ConsultantsAnywhere3 months ago
Hatfield is an innovative, purpose-driven company that designs and develops environmental and socio-economic information management solutions. We have developed a unique suite of digital systems that supports Indigenous self-governance that has gained significant momentum. We are seeking contract software developers that will build on current momentum and play a critical role to develop our technical solutions as they evolve. The software developer must be legally eligible to work in Canada, possess strong technical and communication skills, and be passionate to develop solutions that address the unique needs of Indigenous communities and organizations.
This is a contract position that will interact with the core team that is located in Vancouver. To ensure integration with the core team, you will be asked to work in the same timezone as Vancouver (e.g. 8:30am-5:00pm Pacific time). Working completely remotely in your own space is possible; workspace can be provided for candidates close to one of our offices.
Hatfield works in an adapted agile framework which includes scrum meetings, sprints and retrospectives. All of our systems are web-based and use both the Microsoft and LAMP stacks, with VueJS/Vuetify material design front-ends. As our systems handle highly-confidential information you will be required to sign non-disclosure agreements.
Hatfield embraces diversity and respect for different cultures. Hatfield recognizes that employees, irrespective of gender, nationality, ethnic background, religion or age can contribute their skills and perspectives to improve services we offer clients. As this position’s primary focus will be building systems used by Indigenous organizations and communities, candidates of Indigenous heritage are strongly encouraged to apply.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop top-quality software modules and web applications
- Participate in daily team scrum meetings
- Contribute to sprint review meetings and retrospectives
- Conduct code reviews
- Contribute to software module and web application specification documents
- Maintain the accuracy of project issue tracking and source control systems
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience developing web applications with both Windows and LAMP stacks (e.g. with C#, PHP, SQL Server, MySQL, VueJS, Vuetify, NodeJS, Windows Server and Linux).
- Self-motivated person who takes your own initiative.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills and ability to analyze requirements and recommend solutions.
- Ability to estimate the level of effort required to complete a software module or web application.
- Excellent communication skills (i.e., verbal and written). Ability to formulate, organize, and communicate technical ideas and effectively convey these ideas.
- Legally eligible to work in Canada.
Additional Skills and Experience Considered a Strong Asset:
- Knowledge of First Nations principles of ownership, control, access, and possession and how these principles impact the design and implementation of software systems used by Indigenous organizations.
- Experience working with Indigenous organizations and communities.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure such as Azure, AWS and Google Cloud.
- Experience integrating privacy and security into the design and implementation of web applications.
Reply in confidence with a cover letter and resume describing your experience through the online form or email at email@example.com (no phone calls please). Please include “Software Developer” in your email subject line. Salary expectations are also appreciated and may be included in your cover letter. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.