Senior Database Administrator
British Columbia Investment Management CorporationVictoria, BC16d ago
The Technology department is responsible for developing technology solutions that contribute to the achievement of BCI’s mission and long-term goals. The department manages the Corporation’s business applications and information technology infrastructure, providing support to a large group of financial professionals. The department is also responsible for authoring technology-related directives and conducting disaster recovery planning to minimize risk to the Corporation’s delivery of investment services.
The Senior Database Administrator manages BCI’s Microsoft SQL Server database systems. This includes the development, review, and maintenance of database scripts, custom reports, data extracts, and ongoing optimization of databases and applications to ensure the highest level of database and application performance.
Reporting to the Manager, Environment Management & DBA Services, the Senior Database Administrator will work closely with the primary DBA, business users, and developers to assist in managing multiple development and production database environments. This will include reviewing proposed database changes as well as recommending and implementing changes to optimize performance and ensure high availability.
The position can be based in either Vancouver or Victoria with occasional travel between the two cities.
- Academic qualifications in Computer Science with a minimum of four years related experience in database design, development, administration and support
- Demonstrated expertise in database logical and physical design and implementation; database performance tuning and query optimization, and database security, backup and recovery operations
- Demonstrated capabilities working with MS SQL Server, Oracle database technologies
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills
- An ability to participate effectively in a team environment
- Good communication and customer service skills
- Relevant database certification(s)
- Experience with complex financial systems and cloud-based database technologies
- Maintains all Microsoft SQL Server transactional and warehouse databases, and potentially Oracle databases supporting packaged solutions.
- Monitors and optimizes database performance and troubleshoots database problems
- Installs new instances of SQL Server software, and applies upgrades, quarterly patches and fixes as necessary whilst managing all SQL Server environments
- Performs archiving, security, and auditing related tasks, according to applicable policies and procedures
- Supports client database functions, including data extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) services
- Provides advice on database operations, scripts, stored procedures and complex relational logic as support to the application team
- Provides management reports, customer reports, and data extracts using Microsoft and other tools
- Conducts research, analysis, and profiling to develop methods to improve database performance, functionality, recoverability and availability
- Plans, communicates, executes, and documents database related maintenance and upgrades
- Assists with storage capacity management initiatives and database migrations
- Assists with database licensing initiatives
- Supports audit and security processes by applying industry best practices such as creating views, least privilege, segregation of duties, alerting of improper access, classification of data
- Works with the Cloud Operations & infrastructure team on security vulnerabilities mitigation and cloud migration strategy
- Ensures adherence to IT Service Management (ITSM) incident and change management processes for application delivery
- Works with Data Architecture advising on physical implementation best practices
- Actively adheres to compliance and risk management policies, and participate in business continuity and disaster recovery planning
Organizing & Planning
Effective performers have strong organizing and planning skills that allow them to be highly productive and efficient. They manage their time wisely and effectively prioritize multiple competing tasks. They follow through on tasks to ensure changes in technology are communicated effectively.
Effective performers are able to identify problems, solve them, act decisively and show good judgment. They isolate causes from symptoms and compile information and alternatives to illuminate problems and issues. They involve others as appropriate and gather information from a variety of sources. They find a balance between studying the problem and solving it.
Establishes and proactively maintains a broad network of relationships (e.g. colleagues, co-workers, vendors, suppliers, etc.). They value these relationships and work effectively across the organization by maintaining positive working relationships with peers and others.
Effective performers clearly and articulately convey technical and other information both orally and in writing to others in a manner appropriate to the listener. They write clearly, accurately and concisely, composing project, technical and other required documentation as required.
Effective performers possess a high inner work standard and shows pride in their work. They consistently strive to ensure work is complete within deadlines and that all work performed is of a high quality.