Ideon Technologies (www.ideon.ai) is transforming subsurface discovery. Based in Richmond, BC, on the beautiful west coast of Canada, we are a world pioneer in cosmic-ray muon tomography. Our discovery platform integrates proprietary detectors, imaging systems, inversion technologies, and artificial intelligence to provide x-ray-like visibility up to 1 km beneath the Earth’s surface. We capture, measure, and transform muon data into reliable geophysical surveys and 3D density maps that help geologists identify new mineral and metal deposits with precision and confidence. As a result, they drill less and discover more – reducing cost and risk, saving time, and minimizing environmental impact – ultimately accelerating the world’s transition to low-impact mining.
We are seeking a scientific programmer to take a leading role in building out our capabilities for muon tomography projects, geophysical inversions, and targeting technologies.
Alongside our CTO, you will play a direct role in bringing client projects to fruition, beginning with modeling and muon tomography survey design, through data acquisition and processing, to delivering impactful subsurface intelligence for customers. You will develop a deep understanding of the intricacies of muon tomography and its applications in mineral exploration and other sectors. As a result, of you will be able to interact proficiently with technical teams in client organizations and in published literature.
Your goal will be to establish quantitatively what can be achieved using muon tomography, including in combination with other data sets. Using your sound mathematical grounding, you will translate muon tomography detector data and other geophysical inputs to geoscience information content, using standard and novel data inversion methods. This involves understanding developing frameworks and tools to aid in application assessment, survey design, certainty analysis, implementation, and product development. The modelling and assessment tools you help develop will allow us to make informed business decisions.
You are highly analytical and may be a computer scientist, physicist, engineer, or mathematician; or an expert in numerical programming, algorithm development, or linear algebra. We’ll be looking for a proven track record of excellence, as well as strong communication skills and advanced coding capabilities.
- Graduate degree in science, math, physics or engineering, or other relevant professional designation.
- Software programming languages: C++ (intermediate, expert preferred), Python (intermediate, expert preferred), Fortran (basic). Demonstrated expert level capability in at least one numerical programming language or toolset (C/C++, Python, Julia, Matlab, etc.). Experience with OpenMP, MPI, CUDA, or OpenCL platforms would be highly favourable.
- Python software packages: Demonstrated experience in at least some of Numpy (required) and Scipy, Scikit-Learn, Pandas, Matplotlib, or Seaborn (optional).
- Operating environments: proficiency in Linux (required), Azure, AWS, Digital Ocean and other cloud platforms (beneficial).
- Numerical methods for analysis: experience with iterative solvers in linear algebra, methods for PDEs, numerical integration, statistics, Monte Carlo simulation.
Note: In your application, please tell us about your experience in all things numerical and computational. The qualifications we have listed are intended to provide an idea of the types of skills we are seeking. Above all, we are looking for someone who has proven capabilities in numerical analysis and a willingness to lean in and grow within our team.
The position is based in Richmond, BC (Greater Vancouver).
What We Offer
This is an opportunity to work with a dynamic technology start-up and spin-off from TRIUMF (Canada’s national particle physics laboratory) on its journey to commercialization. You will be working together with company founders and technical experts to advance a ground-breaking solution that will generate significant economic and environmental benefit. Our team is entrepreneurial by nature, mission-driven, and focused on doing things right to deliver great customer outcomes. We are also committed to seeking out the best brains and the most exceptional humans, however they happen to be packaged.
What It’s Like Here
Great ideas and rich company culture come from diversity of thought, experience, and perspective. The Ideon culture is anchored in a set of core values that directly shape how we hire, coach, evaluate, and develop our people:
- Driven by industry, informed by science: We solve industry problems with scientific rigour: listening carefully, analyzing the data, and developing solutions that our clients – and the planet – cannot live without.
- Inspired to create, wired to deliver: We’re imaginative, creating new possibilities and embracing the diversity of thought and experience within our team to move with urgency, learn from our failures, and execute masterfully.
- Unified team, personally accountable: We have each other’s backs and operate with integrity, respect, and empathy. Success depends on leaving egos at the door, celebrating our differences, delivering promises, and owning the outcome together.
- Boldly ambitious, exceptionally human: We think big and have the courage to blaze new trails. We’re in this business to win, but that doesn’t mean we compromise on doing the right thing for our people, our clients, and our world.
Please apply via LinkedIn or send your résumé and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the job title ‘Scientific Programmer’ in the subject line.