Arbutus Medical Inc.Vancouver, BCa month ago
Job Title: Production Technician
Type: Full time
Start Date: May 25th 2021
Location: Vancouver BC
About Arbutus Medical: we break down barriers to safe surgery.
There are five billion people without access to safe surgery. Access to safe, affordable surgical equipment is a major barrier to care, and that needs to change! With the cost of healthcare rising around the world, there has never been a better time to think outside the box and design radically affordable medical devices.
We founded Arbutus Medical in 2014, launched our flagship DrillCover platform in 2016, and since then we have shipped enough product to enable orthopaedic surgery for over 45,000 patients, in over 30 countries. We have our expanded our lines of business to serve value-conscious hospitals and NGOs around the world, including military field medicine teams helping save lives and limbs in conflict zones. Animals also require access to safe surgery, and our surgical products have enabled veterinarians to treat more than 27,000 animal patients. We’re working towards 2 million patients by 2024, and aim to reach over half of those in low- and middle-income countries.
Our team is packed with mission-oriented people working toward a simple shared vision: a world where every patient has access to safe surgical care, and every surgeon has access to the tools they need. We come to work every day trying to make the world a better place. We believe in continuous improvement and triple-bottom line business practices.
Arbutus Medical is a licensed ISO13485 medical device manufacturer, with Health Canada and FDA listings for three product systems and over 50 sellable products.
We need you to help us grow.
As a Production Technician, you will report to our Production Engineering Manager, and will have the following responsibilities:
- Inspect incoming parts and in-process assemblies for quality control
- Assemble moderately complex components with hand tools, following written work instructions
- Investigate and solve manufacturing non-conformances and prepare problem reports
- Maintain quality-assurance documentation within our ISO13485 quality management system
- Prepare documentation for incoming and outgoing shipments
- Assist our production team with inventory management activities
- Place purchase orders for off-the shelf parts with approved vendors.
You will also have the opportunity to recommend improvements to processes and advise on product design decisions in order to optimize manufacturing quality and efficiency.
Must-have skills and qualifications:
- Strong mechanical aptitude and adept at hands-on work
- Experience with inspection tools such as calipers and micrometers
- Attention to detail to follow written assembly procedures and inspection drawings
- Strong computer skills working with spreadsheets and word processors.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to adapt to changing priorities
- A team-first mindset; kind, caring and empathetic
- A belief in triple-bottom line business practices
Nice-to-have skills and qualifications:
- Familiarity with Google drive file system and apps for document storage
- Experience with major shipping systems such as UPS or FedEx
- Experience working within a quality management system or a controlled manufacturing environment
- Experience with creating and modifying parts and assemblies in SolidWorks
This is a great job for someone who loves cool devices and is adept at fine hands-on work.
Most importantly, you will know if you are a good fit if you find it ridiculous that five billion people don’t have access to safe surgery, and you want to use your career to help us change that! If this resonates with you, please apply – even if you don’t feel like you “check all the boxes”.
Compensation and benefits:
You will be paid a wage of $19.50-23.00/hour. This is a full-time position. You will be expected to be available to work shifts on an as-needed basis during the hours of 8:30am – 4:30pm Monday to Friday for at least 30 hours, up to 40 hours, per week.
You will be expected to work primarily on-site at Arbutus Medical’s office at 2520 Columbia St., Vancouver BC. There may be limited options to work from home during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We offer benefits and professional development funding after 6 months of full-time employment.
How to apply:
Send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Production Technician - [Your Name]”. Tell us how you heard about Arbutus Medical, and why you chose to get behind our mission.
Applications will be accepted until Friday April 23rd, 11:59pm PST. We will contact every applicant who applies. The interview process will be conducted as follows:
- Phone interviews: Apr 28-30
- In-person/zoom interviews & reference checks: May 3-5
- Final hiring decision: May 7
Arbutus Medical is committed to inclusion and diversity. We welcome all applicants, including but not limited to: Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, all religions and ethnicities, all gender identities and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, or anyone else who may contribute to the further diversification of perspectives and ideas. If you require special accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.