Mechanical Design Engineer
BioformVancouver, BC25 days ago
MECHANICAL DESIGN ENGINEER
Bioform is an early-stage manufacturing company of novel commercial-scale extrusion printing technologies. Our platform creates home compostable bio-plastics derived from seaweed and cellulose fiber to replace single-use petroleum plastics. We are participating in the e@UBC HATCH and Creative Destruction Labs accelerator programs. Bioform has excellent backing from its investors and is positioned to grow.
Founded at the University of British Columbia after years of fundamental research, the team is looking to rapidly expand production to provide a much-needed solution to fossil-fuel-based plastics. Bioform is seeking people that are focused on sustainability, innovation, excellence, respect, and open-mindedness in whatever job you are working on.
Bioform is looking for an experienced Design Engineer to join our growing team. The candidate will be responsible for aiding in the execution of our bio-film commercial demonstration facility. This includes the development and deployment of fluid dynamical systems that include mechanical design and process control. The right candidate will be responsible for assisting in the design, construction, and execution of the demonstration facility. Data collection and analysis is encouraged to optimize performance and mechanical design.
- Support the design of mechanical systems that include: mechanical components, material selection, structural design, process systems, fluid management, and mechanical layout
- Design and tune control systems to maintain production capacities
- Perform fluid analyses and recommend corrective measures
- Assist in data analysis
- Troubleshoot under-performances
- Develop and maintain detailed 3D CAD specifications, drawings, and assemblies
- Identify and interact with 3rd party suppliers of mechanical systems and components
- Project management from inception to completion for large and small projects
- Mentors and/or supervises growing engineering team
- Present technical concepts and designs to the executive team
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- Degree in mechanical engineering, engineering physics, or a related field with at least 4-6 years of directly related experience
- Experience in product development settings
- Understand the fundamentals of structural design, thermodynamics, heat transfer, reacting systems, and fluid mechanics
- Experience with fabrication processes, assembly processes, and selection of general mechanical components
- Demonstrate excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to work within a time schedule while committing to deliverables
- Ability to work independently while making sound decisions that focus on the goal
- Strong attention to detail with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Extensive experience in platforms including, but not limited to, MATLAB, LabView, Python, AutoCAD, and SolidWorks
Bioform is dedicated to helping its employees grow and develop technical and soft skills in an innovative and collaborative environment. Bioform is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.