TerrameraVancouver15 days ago
We are seeking a results-oriented Laboratory Manager responsible for managing and organizing the day-to-day operations at our state-of-art Research & Development labs across Biology and Chemistry groups. Equipped with a strong technical aptitude, you are a proven builder of multi-faceted systems and processes, adept in maintaining complex robotic equipment as well as training scientists at all levels on operating it. This position will establish you as a mission-critical member to achieving Terramera's mission in reducing synthetic chemical pesticides in agriculture, so we can grow more affordable, clean food for everyone, globally.
This position provides both operational and strategic planning support necessary to achieve alignment between lab management performance and the priorities guided by the leadership team and overall objectives of the Company. This position is solely focused on lab operations management and will not work in scientific research.
Terramera will support relocation for the successful candidate residing outside of BC but within Canada.
To build, manage and scale complex lab management systems to ensure all research labs are performing at optimal state.
Reporting to the Executive Director, R&D, the Laboratory Manager works closely with management and scientists to establish and refine processes and systems for optimal productivity, to understand technical needs for training, and to lead troubleshooting process for minor equipment issues. You will also interact with Facilities management for improvements in the overall laboratory environment and working conditions.
- Leads the development, maintenance and quality assurance of all operational processes and best practices varying in complexity in the lab
- Owns the Heath & Safety framework, which includes polices and standards, and ensures they are adhered to without any compromises
- Leads continuous improvement projects and method development involving multi-disciplinary teams
- Oversees maintenance and troubleshooting of various lab instrumentation and automation, ensuring sophisticated equipment operates at optimal functionality by initiating routine maintenance and fixing basic minor issues
- Ensures the smooth operation of robotic platform & laboratory automation to execute high throughput screening assays
- Monitors cold storage equipment, incubators, and alert the members if the temperature exceeds a specific threshold
- Manages execution of both scheduled and ad-hoc maintenance of HTS platform and associated equipment by aligning with both scientists and external vendors
- Maintains training records for all laboratory staff, including Demonstrations of Capability
- Monitors and ensuring all tasks and responsibilities are performed according to the SOP generated by scientists
- Performs calibration of HTS equipment for both accuracy & precision and quality control of HTS data
- Orders lab supplies as needed and ensuring that consumables are sufficiently stocked and ready for use, e.g., sterilized, for scientists as necessary
- Performs other related duties in keeping with the purpose and accountabilities of the job
- Post-secondary education in Biology, Biochemistry, or related field
- 3+ years of relevant lab management experience in large, complex environments (academia, industry, or government), preferring working with state-of-art equipment and tools
- Matured experience in Health & Safety
- Proven experience running lab instrumentation, including but not limited to liquid handlers, multi-mode plate readers is an asset
- Proven ability to efficiently troubleshoot, test, repair, and service lab instrumentation
- Working knowledge of cell-based assay and microscopy
- Biosafety Level 2 (BSL 2) and containment experience is an asset
- Impeccable attention to details
- Always ensures full compliance with regulations and policies
- High level of critical thinking to devise actionable solutions
- Strong cross-cultural and cross-functional teamwork skills
- Solid influential skills to drive consensus and tackle hard problems in innovative ways
- Ability to work flexible shifts and to adapt to changing work schedules
- Vancouver, BC, Canada; Remote
WHO WE ARE
Terramera is a cleantech leader focused on fusing AI, science and nature to create revolutionary technologies that transform how we grow food and solve other world-scale challenges. With its Actigate™ Targeted Performance technology and mission to unlock the intelligence in nature to ensure a world that thrives and provides for everyone, Terramera is committed to reducing global synthetic chemical loads in agriculture by 80 percent while increasing global farm productivity by 20 percent by 2030. The privately held company was founded in 2010 and has grown to include a world-class bench of engineers, scientists, advisors and investors. Terramera is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, has integrated operations that include research labs, robotics workshop, greenhouse and farm, and has more than 200 patents in its IP portfolio.
Our success begins with our people. We’re looking for A-Players who are passionate about making a difference as we are and thrive in environments that are dynamic, challenging and rewarding. Join our movement, as we set a new standard and change the world together as a highly dedicated, innovative, future-focused and solutions-oriented team.
Terramera offers a generous compensation package covering base salary, unlimited paid vacation, options, bonus plan, extended health benefits, paid professional development activities, home office equipment, and other attractive elements.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. For more information on Terramera, please visit our website at www.terramera.com
Terramera is committed to a diverse workforce and we are an equal opportunity employer.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.