Engineering Manager 1
BenchCanada6 months ago
We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
We’re a committed and talented group of diverse people working hard to solve a real, universal problem for millions of entrepreneurs: businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between doing their books and running their businesses. Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of their hands. We’ve paired smart humans with incredibly powerful software to develop the fastest, most efficient bookkeeping service in history. This lets us provide monthly and yearly financials at an incredibly accessible price, giving business owners the time, confidence, and knowledge they need to be successful.
Bench is growing fast.
Recently, we’ve onboarded our 9000th client and our 500th employee. We have a clear, funded path to profitability, and a roadmap that we believe will rapidly accelerate the trajectory of our business. We’re looking for the brightest minds who love solving tough problems to join us on this incredible journey, in pursuit of bringing financial mastery to our clients.
What is an Engineering Manager 1?
Engineering managers are responsible for our culture, our deliverables, and our growth—both organization and individual. They work with their reports to maximize their growth and their experience of Bench, and they work across teams and departments to ensure that we achieve the goals we set. They lead with empathy, and they stand for the success of everyone on our team.
What you’ll be getting up to:
- Ensure that the culture on your team is consistent with our principles
- Create and iterate on the processes that define how we work as an organization
- Actively work to connect our engineers with the value that they create in the world
- Foster the growth of a small team of engineers
- Ensure that time commitments are honoured
To be successful in this role:
- You are “technical” - you don’t need “senior engineer” on your resume, but you do need to have an understanding of technology, building products, maintaining products, and speaking about technical problems and solutions.
- You can’t help but lead - Leadership is required in every single group activity on the planet. To do this job, you need to be one of those people who finds it impossible to shirk responsibility—when leadership needs to happen, you do it, because that’s who you are.
- You have experience managing - Management is not the same as leadership. It requires a commitment to getting the best out of the individuals who report to you, and the ability to figure out how to best organize their diverse skill sets for the objective you’re pursuing.
- You are always, always growing - Fostering growth is what we do here, in ourselves and in our reports. Our mission is big, and we all need to grow significantly to achieve it.
- You have high standards - Part of Creating Value is delivering quality experiences. This means overseeing work in progress to coach reports on quality practices and guideline compliance.
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- This position offers an annual salary, stock options, and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
- Our office has gone fully remote! We’ll set you up with everything you need to work from home, from day one.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.