BenchVancouver4 months ago
We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
We’re a committed and talented group of diverse people working hard to solve a real, universal problem for millions of entrepreneurs: businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between doing their books and running their businesses. Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of their hands. We’ve paired smart humans with incredibly powerful software to develop the fastest, most efficient bookkeeping service in history. This lets us provide monthly and yearly financials at an incredibly accessible price, giving business owners the time, confidence, and knowledge they need to be successful.
Bench is growing fast. Recently, we’ve onboarded our 9000th client and our 500th employee. We have a clear, funded path to profitability, and a roadmap that we believe will rapidly accelerate the trajectory of our business. We’re looking for the brightest minds who love solving tough problems to join us on this incredible journey, in pursuit of bringing financial mastery to our clients.
What does the DEI team look like?
“Systems of racism and discrimination exist. Bench has been complicit in these systems, and we need to actively work against them. At Bench, we’re engaged in the ongoing work of identifying and dismantling systems of racism and discrimination throughout our workplace, and building more inclusive ones. This work won’t be perfect—we are going to make mistakes. But action is non-negotiable. We are committed to investing in change, learning and unlearning, apologizing when we fail, and trying again.”
- Bench Leadership
These are commitments to anti-racism and anti-discrimination that we share across our organization—in every team and at every level of leadership. In order to support our leaders and Benchmates in this all-encompassing work, we need passionate, thoughtful, committed, and powerful people on our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Team. This team does not function in isolation. We are not about programmatic or superficial change. Rather, we are committed to ensuring every aspect of how we do things at Bench is aligned with our stance on anti-racism and anti-discrimination.
What you’ll be getting up to:
- Projects & Initiatives: Drive and execute small DEI projects and quick wins, and support in planning and executing large DEI initiatives
- Training & Education: Support in curriculum development and delivery of baseline DEI training and education modules
- Research: Build and maintain a database of DEI content, resources and tools, salient current events, and developments in best practices
- Benchmate connection: Act as a point of contact for affinity groups, Benchmates with DEI-related concerns, and other social or environmental initiatives that cultivate belonging for underrepresented Benchmates
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- A strong understanding of the bigger picture: You know where systemic oppression comes from, how it operates, and therefore how it affects folks with racialized and marginalized identities
- Thick skin, soft heart: You have the capacity to navigate difficult, high-tension conversations with profound empathy but without backing down. You know who to make space and advocate for, and when to challenge and educate.
- A track record of change-making: You have explicit experiences of purposeful and proactive engagement with inequities in your community or workplace, whether in a formal or informal capacity.
- Humble and coachable: You have an activated sense of humility and an indefinite growth mindset
- High initiative, endless drive: You don’t wait for people to tell you something needs to change. You see the opportunity and make it happen.
- Advocacy: You are unequivocally oriented toward allyship and advocacy for folks with racialized and marginalized identities
- Integrity: You have a healthy impatience with superficial change or performative allyship. You’re not focused on the diversity jargon around “more innovation”, “higher productivity”, and “greater profit”. You’re about doing the right thing.
It could be an even better fit if you have:
- Strong writing and verbal communication: You’re comfortable communicating complex ideas to a lot of different types of folks.
Extra bonus points if you have:
- Strong analytical skills: You have an analytical mind and are capable of breaking down large problems into smaller ones. You consistently demonstrate a clear, logical, and structured approach to problem solving.
- Strong project management skills: You’re comfortable working with others to create challenging, achievable, and sustainable goals and being an accountability structure to support the goals being achieved.
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- This position offers an annual salary, stock options, and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
- Our office has gone fully remote! We’ll set you up with everything you need to work from home, from day one.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.