About Arbutus Medical: we break down barriers to safe surgery.
Access to safe, affordable surgical equipment is a major barrier to care, and that needs to change! With the cost of healthcare rising around the world, there has never been a better time to think outside the box and design radically affordable medical devices.
We founded Arbutus Medical in 2014, launched our flagship DrillCover platform in 2016, and launched our skeletal traction procedure kits in 2021. We have shipped enough products to enable orthopaedic surgery for over 90,000 patients, in over 35 countries. We serve value-conscious hospitals and NGOs around the world, including military field medicine teams helping save lives and limbs in conflict zones. In 2020 we expanded our product lines to serve hospitals who struggle with powertool availability in their ERs through our Skeletal Traction procedure kit which we sell in North American hospitals.
Our team is packed with mission-oriented people working toward a simple shared vision: a world where every patient has access to safe surgical care, and every surgeon has access to the tools they need. We come to work every day trying to make the world a better place. We believe in continuous improvement and triple-bottom line business practices.
Arbutus Medical is a licensed ISO13485 medical device manufacturer, with Health Canada and FDA listings for three product systems and over 50 sellable products.
We need you to help us grow.
As an Assembler, you will report to our Production Technician, and will have the following responsibilities:
- Assemble moderately complex components with hand tools, following written work instructions
- Follow cleanroom procedures to maintain cleanliness of assemblies for sterile packaging
- Maintain quality-assurance documentation within our ISO13485 quality management system
- Assist our production team with inventory management activities
- Inspect incoming parts and in-process assemblies for quality control
- Maintain a tidy production room
You will also have the opportunity to recommend improvements to processes and advise on product design decisions in order to optimize manufacturing quality and efficiency.
Must-have skills and qualifications:
- Strong mechanical aptitude and adept at hands-on work
- Attention to detail and ability to follow written assembly procedures and inspection drawings
- Strong computer literacy working with spreadsheets and word processors.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to adapt to changing priorities
- A team-first mindset; kind, caring and empathetic
- A belief in triple-bottom line business practices
Nice-to-have skills and qualifications:
- Familiarity with Google drive file system and apps for document storage
- Experience with major shipping systems such as UPS or FedEx
- Experience working within a quality management system
- Experience working in a controlled manufacturing environment such as a cleanroom
- A mechanical or technical diploma or similar
This is a great job for someone who loves cool devices and is adept at fine hands-on work.
Most importantly, you will know if you are a good fit if you find it ridiculous that billions of people don’t have access to safe surgery, and you want to use your career to help us change that! If this resonates with you, please apply – even if you don’t feel like you “check all the boxes”.
Compensation and benefits:
You will be paid a wage of $20.50 - $23.00/hour. This is a full-time position. You will be expected to be available to work during the hours of 8:00am – 4:30pm Monday to Friday for 40 hours per week.
You will be expected to work on-site at Arbutus Medical’s office at 2520 Columbia St., Vancouver BC.
We offer benefits after 6 months of employment.
How to apply:
Apply via HR@arbutusmedical.ca and include both a resume and cover letter in your application. In your cover letter,tell us how you heard about Arbutus Medical, and why you chose to get behind our mission, and highlight something you have built such as a previous commercial product, a school project, or something built as a hobby. Include details about what tools you used and the process you followed.
Arbutus Medical is committed to inclusion and diversity. We welcome all applicants, including but not limited to: Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, all religions and ethnicities, all gender identities and sexual orientations, persons with disabilities, or anyone else who may contribute to the further diversification of perspectives and ideas. If you require special accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter.